Are e-liquids toxic when consumed? Firstly to begin this post, since you may have come across this article if you or someone you know has ingested some e-juice, call the poison control center, as e-liquids are poisonous. For some examples of e-liquid pictures, click here.

Toxicity depends on how much you ingested. Only consuming a few drops will likely not result in any problems. However, any more than that and to be on the safe side you should call poison control, and then visit the doctor.

The toxic component of e-liquids is nicotine. You have to consume a whole lot of nicotine to get nicotine poisoning though. The exact amount varies, but some estimates say it can be as much as 50mg, and usually your body begins to induce vomiting to get most of it out once you have ingested too much.

However there have been instances of children drinking a bottle of e-liquid, being mistaken by its candy or dessert flavored smell, and getting seriously sick or in some instances even passing away.

This means that e-liquid poisoning should be taken seriously.

In order to avoid children from accidentally drinking any e-liquid, you should follow these suggestions.

Never buy an e-liquid without a child safety cap. This will help prevent a child from opening the e-liquid with the intent to drink it.

Secondly, keep the e-liquid out of reach from children. This could mean placing it in an unreachable high place, like on top of a dresser. But as you likely know, children can be crafty and find ways to reach things you think they can’t reach.

Due to this, your best bet is to store e-liquid in a secured locked compartment which would require a key to open. This would definitely prevent a child from getting there hands on it, unless you have a young Jacques Cassandri on your hands. Then your out of luck.

Again if you or someone you know has ingested e-liquids your best bet is to call the poison control center just to make sure that everything is fine. There phone lines in the US are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They should give you some tips to flush it out of your system. But don’t panic if you’ve only swallowed a few drops or even as much as a teaspoon.